Friday, May 9, 2008

Assassin’s Creed scandal, Don't Patch If You Have ATI Hardware!

Money, Advertising money, Directx 10.1 seems to be the name(s) of the game and since the information that we had were murky (they are still murky, despite TGDaily's efforts) TGDaily wend digging for information. Looks like ATI 3800's DX 10.1 compatibility makes the game run better and faster on ATI but not on NVIDIA. (Thanks myself I always have both platforms where I check out games etc.)
So Ubisoft goes and patches the game (basically takes out DX 10.1 support as I read and understand!) to be compatible and slow on both NVIDIA and ATI. One way or the other it smells fishy to me but you can smell for yourself by reading TGDaily article.
I have ATI 3800 and I will not patch and will run as I got it.
"TG Daily investigates – Amidst talk that the PC’s days as a major gaming platform could be counted blockbuster titles such as Assassin’s Creed are welcome signs that show just the opposite. Sadly, it is very likely that this game will be remembered for a controversy that dances around a strange decision to remove support for DirectX 10.1 and handed transferred an initial performance advantage for ATI’s Radeon cards over to Nvidia. Did Nvidia have its hands in this one? We looked a bit closer to find out."

0 comments: